Instructions: after removing cooked steak from the pan, the following ingredients can be added to the pan to make good use of the savory brown bits left in the pan.
- Add some butter to the pan and heat over medium heat.
- Add some minced shallots to the pan, stirring and scraping up brown bits, until shallots are browned and fragrant.
- If desire, a bit of alcohol such as red or white wine or cognac can added to the pan at this point. Boil the liquid until it is reduced to a glaze.
- Add some cream and meat juices accumulated on the plate to the pan and bring to a simmer. Stir constantly until sauce reduces and thickens.
- Season sauce with salt & pepper. Serve immediately with steak.